1. With what fundamental fact of existence does the Bible begin that provides a basis for scientific knowledge? Genesis 1:1
“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”
Modern science grew out of a Christian world view that there is a rational God who created an orderly universe and rational human beings who could appreciate it.
2. How was Jesus involved in the creation of all things? Colossians 1:16
“For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.”
3. As the sun is the source of all life physically, what influence did Jesus claim He had? John 8:12
“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life”
Scientists such as Sir Isaac Newton; German astronomer, Johannes Keppler; Michael Faraday, the discoverer of electromagnetic induction; and many more were all motivated and inspired by their devotion to Jesus.
Freedoms for Women
4. What message did the apostle Paul give that shows equality between men and women? Galatians 3:28
“There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.”
5. How does Paul show the prominence of women in leadership in the early church? Romans 16:1, 3, 6, 7
“I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant [deacon] of the church in Cenchrea. . . . Greet Priscilla and Aquila [wife and husband], my fellow-workers in Christ Jesus. . . . Greet Mary, who worked very hard for you. Greet Andronicus and Junias [feminine name], my relatives who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles.”
Freedom for Slaves
6. As mentioned above (Galatians 3:28), both slave and free are one in Christ. What attitude did Paul convey concerning Onesimus (a runaway slave who became a Christian through contact with Paul) in returning him to his owner Philemon? How does this attitude bring freedom for slaves? Philemon 10-17
“I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains. . . . I am sending him — who is my very heart — back to you. . . . Have him back for good — no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord. So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me.”
Medical Health Care
7. What example of healing did Jesus reveal while on earth that has inspired His followers to establish medical health-care facilities? Matthew 4:23
“Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.”
8. What authority did Jesus give to His 12 disciples concerning health care? Matthew 10:1
“He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.”
9. When Jesus comes again, what commendation did He say He would give His followers concerning caring for those in need, including the sick? Matthew 25:40
“I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”
Bible Discovery by Errol Webster. Reprinted with permission by SIGNS. Biblebay © 2001-2014, Westlake Village, CA.© 2002 - 2023, AnswersForMe.org. All rights reserved. Click here for content usage information.